When I heard that Sarah Palin had decided to stay in Alaska to deal with the flooding emergency in Eagle, I thought at first that perhaps she wanted to stay as far away as possible from the “gotcha media”. But after researching the White House Correspondents Dinner in Washington, D.C, to which she will send Todd instead, it sounds more like a celebrity bash than a gathering of journalists.
I was going to give Sarah credit for sticking around during an emergency, and then I realized that she really did make a good decision here. [Did I just say that?] Sarah actually passed up the opportunity to not only hang out with the President and Vice-President, but man, look at this list of celebrities:
* CNN: Ashton Kutcher, Demi Moore, Val Kilmer, Kyra Sedgwick, Brad Cooper, Tyra Banks, Janet Napolitano.
* ABC News: David and Susan Axelrod; Rahm Emanuel, White House Chief of Staff; Peter Orszag (Director of Office of Management and Budget), Valerie Jarrett (senior presidential advisor), Jackie Norris (First Lady’s Chief of Staff), Leon Panetta, CIA Director; Susan Rice, UN Ambassador; Justice Antonin Scalia; Meghan McCain; Jon and Dorothea Bon Jovi; Kate Walsh; Taye Diggs and Idina Menzel.
* CBS News: Ben Affleck, Jennifer Garner, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Brad Hall, Mayor Adrian Fenty, Sen. Lindsey Graham, Gov. Jon Corzine, Amb. Hector Timerman, Colin Powell, Stephanie Cutter, Tom Donilon, Arne Duncan, Michele Flournoy, Lisa Jackson, David Jacobson, Katie Johnson, Bob Schieffer, Brad Paisley.
* NBC News: Colin Firth, Jimmy Fallon, Mariska Hargitay, Mike Myers, William H. Macy, Jason Bateman, Natasha Bedingfeld, Connie Britton, Warren Buffett, Kyle Chandler, John Cusack, Ari Emanuel, Dr. Zeke Emanuel, Colin Firth, Whoopi Goldberg, Rep. Jane Harmon, Felicity Huffman, Samuel L. Jackson, Jim Jones, Sen. Amy Klobucher, Denis Leary, John Lewis, Cheryl Mills, B.J. Novak, Gov. Ed Rendell, Wilbur Ross, Jeff Zucker, Steve Capus, Phil Griffin, Brian Williams, David Gregory, Al Roker, Ann Curry, Natalie Morales, Hoda Kotb, Amy Robach, Andrea Mitchell, Chuck Todd, Savannah Guthrie, Luke Russert, Chris Matthews, Keith Olbermann, Ed Schultz,Joe Scarborough, Mika Brzezinkski , Norah O’Donnell, David Shuster, Contessa Brewer, Carlos Watson, Tamron Hall, Jim Cramer, Maria Bartiromo and Erin Burnett.
* New York Daily News: Chesley Sullenberger.
* USA Today: Tim Daly, Justin Long, Richard Belzer, Deputy White House Chief of Staff Mona Sutphen, Dept. of Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood, Michelle Obama staffer Jocelyn Frye.
* Atlantic: Ed Westwick, Newt Gingrich.
* Fortune: George Lucas and Glenn Close.
* People: Sting and Trudie Styler, Miranda Cosgrove, Kevin Bacon, Forest Whitaker, Jon Hamm, Eva Longoria Parker, Chris “Ludacris” Bridges, Brooke Shields
* Glamour: Narciso Rodriguez, Alicia Keys, Kenneth Cole, Kerry Washington, and White House social secretary Desiree Rogers.
* Newsweek: Lally Weymouth, Donald Graham, Jon Meacham, Timothy Geithner, Eric Holder, R. Todd Bradley (Executive Vice President, Personal Systems Group, Hewlett Packard), David Brennan (CEO, AstraZeneca), Representative Eric and Diana Cantor (R-VA).; Fmr. Secretary of the Navy Richard Danzig; Amb. Jeffrey Feltman (Assistant Secretary of State for Near Eastern Affairs), Amb. Richard Holbrooke (Special Envoy to Pakistan and Afghanistan), and Ms. Kati Marton; Attorney General Eric Holder; Representative Steny Hoyer (D-MD); Arianna Huffington (Editor-in-Chief, The Huffington Post), Jeffrey Kindler (Chairman and CEO, Pfizer), Sharon Sullivan, Michael Kives (Creative Artists Agency), Martin Nesbitt, President and CEO, PRG Parking Management; Natalie Portman; Sir Nigel Sheinwald (Ambassador of the United Kingdom to the US) and Lady Julia Sheinwald, Puneet Talwar (National Security Council), Dr. Eric Whitaker (University of Chicago Medical Center), Owen Wilson, James Berkus (United Talent Agency).
She really passed up a good time, I think. Way to go Sarah. (I really mean it! I’m honestly not trying to sound sarcastic here. It’s just really hard to say that phrase without an eye-roll. Old habits are hard to break, you know.)
The only questions I have are, will Todd bring Bristol as his date, and if so, who will watch Tripp?